October 10, 2022
Library Volunteers expand and enhance the events and services provided by staff. The term “Volunteer” includes all non-library individuals or groups who are appointed, trained, and supervised by library staff to perform unpaid services on behalf of the library. New volunteer positions will be approved by the Assistant Director.
Volunteer placement is determined by the Home Delivery and Volunteer Library Associate upon completion of an application and satisfactory interview and/or liability waiver. Community service workers who must work a defined number of hours are subject to the same selection process and volunteer procedures herein.
The library is not obliged to hire any volunteer for a paid position; volunteers wishing to apply for a paid position must follow the city’s application process.
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years old
- Volunteers 12-17 years old must have written permission from their parent or guardian, and will not be assigned tasks prohibited by the Fair Labor Standards Act for similar paid positions
- 12 to 14-year-old volunteers will be considered on a case-by-case basis, contingent on available supervision, will be supervised by an adult at all times, and will not operate equipment or vehicles
- Background checks are required of individual volunteers 18 years or older prior to appointment; members of groups volunteering for a one-time specific project must sign a liability waiver
- Upon receiving an application and background check which discloses information that is a concern to the reviewing staff, the discretion of the Public Relations Coordinator or library management will be applied to determine final resolution of volunteering status
Revised: September 14, 2020; December 10, 2018; November 13, 2017; September 8, 2014; reviewed October 5, 2012; revised September 16, 2010; adopted January 8, 2003, RCPL Board of Trustees