May 10, 2021
The purpose of the Local History Room is to provide access to materials documenting the history, development, and identity of Rapid City, its people, and the surrounding community. The primary focus of the collections is Rapid City history, West River genealogy, the 1972 Flood, local Native American tribes, and library history. These collections are supplemented by online digital resources.
Conditions of Use
To support equal access while protecting rare and possibly fragile materials, the following conditions have been established for users of the Local History Room. Failure to follow any of these conditions may result in loss of library services.
- Library staff must provide admittance.
- Pens or ink of any kind may not be used.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited.
- Materials must be handled carefully. Patrons are requested to keep archival materials in existing order. They are advised not to place bound materials face down, nor to lean on materials or write on or trace over materials.
- Materials are for use within the room only and are not available for general checkout or for use elsewhere in the library. Patrons who wish to make photocopies of materials must obtain the assistance of a staff member.
- The computer stations are intended for research and digitization and are available to reserve. Patrons using the computers must comply with the library’s Computer Use Policy; in addition, activities such as general web browsing, social networking, or gaming are not permitted.
- The climate controlled archives room is not accessible to the public. Patrons who wish to view materials from the archives or need more in-depth assistance should schedule a Book-ALibrarian session in advance.
Support for Patrons
- Patrons who are looking for instruction in the use of the Local History Room are encouraged to use the Book-A-Librarian service.
- The library’s online catalog contains the holdings of the Local History Room. Digital collections are accessible online.
Reproduction, Copyright, and Publication
It is the responsibility of patrons to obtain copyright clearance to publish or distribute any library materials. If a patron wishes to publish material from the Local History Room and has obtained the necessary permissions, credit should be given to the Rapid City Public Library.
Updated May 10, 2021; May 13, 2019; Created August 27, 2015