June 13, 2022
The library’s meeting and study rooms provide space for library events and to fulfill the library’s role as a community center by providing public access to educational, cultural, civic, and recreational meetings, and activities. Rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis, per the guidelines outlined below, with the intent to make the meeting and study rooms available on as equitable a basis as possible. The fact that a group is permitted to meet in the library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs.
Meeting rooms may be scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday thru Thursday and 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Friday thru Sunday. Meetings may be scheduled before the library is open, with one week’s advance notice and payment of a fee (see Lending and Fees Policy); the fee must be paid within 3 days of booking or the request will be cancelled.
Library staff is the final arbiter regarding application of this policy.
Meeting and Study Room Guidelines
Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the loss of meeting room privileges as determined by the Library Director, Assistant Director, or Director’s designee.
- All library policies must be followed and room capacities adhered to while using meeting or study rooms.
- No products, services, registrations or memberships may be advertised, solicited, or sold in library venues.
- Groups using a meeting room must clearly indicate who is sponsoring the event in their advertisements and news releases.
- The group or individual using the room is responsible for all necessary setup and cleanup, and must allow sufficient setup and cleanup time when scheduling.
- Damage to the premises, equipment or furnishings will be charged to the group or individual responsible.
- No personal use shall be permitted such as weddings, receptions, or parties.
- Three or more no-shows for meeting room reservations in any one-year period may result in the loss of meeting room privileges as determined by the Library Director, Assistant Director, or Director’s designee.
- Refunds for paid cancellations will be made only with at least seven (7) days’ notice.
- Study rooms may be scheduled up to two hours per day by any individual or group, with the possibility of a two-hour extension if no other patrons are waiting to use the study rooms. The same criteria apply to study rooms as to the meeting rooms.
The library reserves the right to:
- Deny the use of a meeting room if the room is otherwise needed for library or civic purposes.
- Limit the frequency of use of the meeting and study rooms by any one group, to best accommodate many requests.
- Permit fund raising, at the discretion of the Library Director, to benefit the library when sponsored by the Friends of the Library, the Rapid City Foundation or other library related groups.
- Permit the sale of books and other items as part of a library event.
Revised: June 13, 2022; May 9, 2020; May 11, 2020; March 9, 2020; February 13, 2017; April 13, 2015; July 14, 2014; May 12, 2014; August 12, 2013; April 2013; reviewed December 2012